No college or university is fully immune from the internal pressures to increase campus size. Faculty and staff argue that the campus is too small to support mission and programs. Students feel that classroom space is outdated and uninviting. And donors and senior administration advocate for campus expansion. Yet, a typical classroom is occupied less than 60% of the time.
Sightlines’ Space Utilization Solutions separate fact from fiction when it comes to your space and its usage. Working with campus leaders, Sightlines creates an inventory of all teaching spaces and rigorously analyzes the utilization of rooms, seats and conditions before benchmarking against peers and best-in-class institutions. This customized service helps increase space utilization, improve scale and even suggests ways to further upgrade and optimize the use of existing assets.
- On-site collection of core space data
- Full documentation of occupancy, conditions and instructional technology
- Analysis featuring room and seat utilization
- Peer comparisons to uncover opportunities for improvement
- Discussion with key stakeholders and facility users
- Recommendations to improve use and function
- Make better, data-driven decisions regarding space on campus
- Increase space utilization and improve scale
- Optimize the use of existing assets
- Target capital investment to help fulfill mission
- Avoid unnecessary new construction